ORRC Global Control Operations : Associate
Division: Operations Job Title: Associate
Location: Mumbai Job Level: Associate
Client is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Client can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Firm Wide Operations Risk & Regulatory Control (ORRC) department is a global department, wherein Global control Operations (GCO) is responsible for & Independent Risk Monitoring, Sub-Ledger & Substantiation Control Operations.
The Division has over 500 team members across the Firm, with the majority residing in New York, Baltimore, Glasgow, London and Mumbai as well as with Vendors in Nagpur and Chennai.
Background on the Team
Independent Risk Monitoring team is an independent function that is focused on; break/exception reporting, mitigating various types of risk such as financial risks (e.g. incorrect books and records), operating risks (e.g. unowned aged balances and transactions) and fraud. The function is designed to highlight and mitigate risk across the Firm through focus on monitoring daily variances, trending and aged breaks. Additional work streams ensure focus on establishing standards, ensuring full population control including reconciliation processes / systems and associated gaps, and establishing a monitoring framework. We also look to create efficiencies through standardization and process automation.
The Sub-Ledger Team serves as the guardian of the accounting processes that update the Operations Sub-Ledger. Libra provides a comprehensive repository of Journals and Positions & Balances (P&B) data from trading and non-trading activity.
The Substantiation Control Operations team oversees the month end Certification process for Operations. The team make ownership changes in BCSI when required over month end, help users within Operations with troubleshooting during their sign off, run Unsigned Reports to ensure accounts are signed off within the sign off deadline.
The team creates post month end reporting to highlight Key Risks to senior management and Risk Leads.
The individual will be responsible for the stakeholder engagement supporting the existing Director, as well as working with various individuals across Operations to examine both new and established processes, assess risk and to develop control mechanisms to mitigate the risk associated with these processes.
- The candidate should expect to build an intricate knowledge of firm systems, data sources and the processes that create/maintain reports
- Monitoring and escalation of various exceptions to highlight and mitigate risk
- Analysis of global exception reports, identifying and highlighting trends
- Working to tight deadlines on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Building a detailed understanding of each exception type, allowing complex queries to be answered and commentary to be questioned and challenged
- Acquiring an intricate knowledge of firm systems, data sources and processes, building the ability to question data integrity
- Working with business areas and their Risk Managers to assess the integrity of any exclusions and close communication within the global team and across firm management
- Identification and implementation of process improvements
- LESA errors should be investigated, escalated, delegated and put in held pending status and get the error resolved by chasing and obtaining commentary from BU.
- Control specific entitlements and rules that support one of the firm’s critical manual journals systems
- Collaborate with Finance, Technology and other Operations users across all regions
- Strong verbal and written communication skill. Effective interaction with others across departments and regions.
- Ability to communicate technical matters in a concise manner. Understands the audience, pitch communication at correct level, and demonstrate active listening skills
- Ability to lead and drive initiatives independently.
- Understands the underlying risks in the process and able to propose mitigating controls.
- Has the ability to absorb information and learn quickly.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership and accountability for tasks.
- Contributes to refining controls and continuously improving and reducing operational risk for their respective area.
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of the functional area for which they are responsible, while being aware of how other functions integrate or impact them.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power point is essential.
Client is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential.